Updated: Jun 28
This is the perfect Summer Salad because it's full fresh herbs and can be made as a main meal with beef, chicken or tofu. Or, it can be made as a side salad. Happy Summer!
· 1 small Thai chili (1/4 to 1/2 tsp. finely minced)
· 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
· 1 Tbsp. cilantro stems, chopped
· 1/8 tsp. Kosher salt
· 1/4 tsp. pepper
· 2 tsp. sugar
· 1 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
· 3 Tbsp. lime juice
· 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
· 8 oz. beef (skirt, flank or sirloin), set out for 20+ minutes to come to room temp.
· 1/2 tsp. grapeseed oil (neutral oil)
· 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
· 1/4 tsp. black pepper
· 2 cups mixed lettuce
· 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
· 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin (1/8 inch slices)
· 1/2 cucumber, (about 1/3 cup) cut in half moon shapes
· 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, lightly packed
· 1/4 cup mint leaves, lightly packed
· 4-6 Thai basil leaves
· 2 Tbsp. toasted peanuts, roughly chopped (1 Tbsp. in the salad, 1 Tbsp. on top)
Finely cop the chilies, garlic and cilantro stems. Add the salt and using the back of your knife, make a paste. Place in a small bowl and add the remaining Dressing ingredients. Whisk together. Set aside.
Preheat a sauté pan on medium high heat. While it’s heating, use a paper town and dry the beef. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. When hot, add 1/2 tsp. oil and swirl around pan. Add beef and cook to medium. Remove the beef and place on a piece of foil, seal it up and let it sit for 15 minutes to rest. Once it’s cooled and rested, slice the beef thinly against the grain.
Plate all other salad ingredients into a large bowl. Top with sliced, cooled beef. Pour the dressing in and toss gently. Plate and top with the extra peanuts. Serve immediately.