Updated: Jun 28
If you love tacos, you'll love this recipe. This recipe is super simple, delicious and nutritious!
· 1 tsp. light oil (grapeseed, canola)
· 1 yellow onion
· 1 bell pepper
· 1 lb. of ground turkey (preferably 93% to 98% lean)
· 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning (preferably with no sugar added)
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/4 tsp. black pepper
· 1/2 cup salsa (optional to make it more saucy)
· 1 to 2 Tbsp. water
· 6 - 8 hard taco shells
· Fixings for your tacos (lettuce, tomatoes, onions or scallions, shredded cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, salsa, avocado or guacamole, etc.)
1. Dice the yellow onion and bell pepper and set aside in bowls.
2. Measure your taco seasoning (you can make your own using the recipe below).
3. Heat your sauté pan to medium high and when hot, add the oil.
4. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and sauté another 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey and break up with a spatula and spread out in pan.
5. Add taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
6. Continue cooking until the meat looks almost cooked, about 5 minutes.
7. Add 1 to 2 Tbsp. water to the mix, reduce heat to simmer, cover tightly with a lid.
8. Cook for 10 minutes, checking after 5 minutes to be sure there’s still water in the pan.
9. Add salsa, if using (this makes it more sauce-like) and cook with the lid off for another 2-4 minutes.
9. Serve in taco shells with desired toppings.
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 – 2 tsp. salt (optional)
Place all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Store in a Ziplock bag or sealed container.
NOTE: Making your own taco seasoning ensures that no additives, preservatives or sugar are added and you can control the amount of salt.